Buffalo Roundup & Lakota Culture
A program for adults over 45.
September 25-30, 2017
Monday 4:00 p.m. through Saturday breakfast.
Outlaw Ranch, Custer, SD
Enjoy a week in the Black Hills of South Dakota learning about buffalo and their importance to the Native American culture. Hear from Lakota people about life on the reservation. Pastor Larry Peterson, a retired pastor who has spent many years on Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, will join us for the week as worship leader and program staff. In addition to programmed activities, there will also be time for relaxing, shopping, and sight-seeing.
This week includes a visit to Mt. Rushmore National Monument and a drive on the spectacular Needles Highway.
Stay at Outlaw Ranch in the Vision Quest Lodge or the Barn Retreat Center, surrounded by ponderosa pine forests and the peaks of the Black Hills. Delicious home-cooked meals are served in the dining hall.
• Spend one field day at Custer State Park's Buffalo Roundup.
• Experience the sorting, branding, and vaccinating of the buffalo.
• Feel the thunder of thousands of hooves.
• Take a wildlife drive in Custer State Park.
• Visit with Lakota Indians of the Pine Ridge Reservation.
• Discuss issues of religion, politics, education, and social life.
• Learn of historical and present-day perspectives.
• Enjoy a day with Larry Belitz, creator of costumes and tipis for "Dances with Wolves."
• Learn about hide-tanning, quill and bead-work, flint-knapping, and museum replications.
$100 non-refundable deposit is included.